Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How Do I Use This Guide?
This guide is organized by subject. If you select a tab above you will see a sampling of the library's children's books about these topics.
Ask a librarian if:
- You need any assistance finding children's books.
- You have questions about using this guide.
Sullivan University Children's Literature Collection
- Children's literature is written for children to give them both, "pleasure and understanding" (Lukens, 1999).
Lukens, R. (1999). A Critical Handbook of Children's Literature. New York: Longman.
Raines, S. & Isbell, R. (1994). Stories: Children's Literature in Early Education. Albany, NY: Delmar Publishers, Inc.
How can I look for books?
- Go to the library's website: http://library.sullivan.edu, and choose the Books tab.
- Search for a title or an author's name.
- Select the book(s) your are interested in and choose the All Copies link.
- Write down the shelf location listed and go to the children's book section in the library.
How are the children's books organized on the shelf?
- The children's books are organized alphabetically by the last names of the authors.
- If you want to find Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar, go to the JF C section, look at the side of the book for the author's name, and look for the book's title.
Please don't hesitate to ask one of the librarians if you need help. We will be glad to assist you.
- A picture book is a book written for children where the pictures tell the story.
For more information about picture books check out the following resources.
A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books by Carolyn and John Lima; R 011.62 L732a 2010
Companion to American Children's Picture Books by Connie Ann Kirk J 028.5343 K 591c
If you want help finding books, just ask one of the librarians. We will be glad to assist you.
Great Books for Children: Ages 1-4
Do you need to find a book for a two-year-old or a four-year-old, but you aren't sure where to look? Search here to go to a list of children's books that are organized by age range.
- Caldecott & Newbery Books at Sullivan University
Click on this link to go a complete listing of Caldecott and Newbery books. Titles with an * beside them are available at one of the Sullivan campuses, and the librarians will be glad to help you find them.
- Caldecott Medal-official page
The American Library Association awards the Caldecott Medal, and here is the link to the official Caldecott page.
- Newbery Medal-official page
The American Library Association awards the Newbery Medal. This is the link to the official Newbery page.
4000 Dupont Circle
Louisville, KY 40207
Ph: (502) 447-1000
Ph: (800) 264-1799
2222 Wendell Ave.
Louisville, KY 40205
Ph: (502) 456-6773
2355 Harrodsburg Road
Lexington, KY 40504
Ph: (859) 514-3359
Please contact the library staff if you notice any broken or dead links, and we will do our best to either correct or remove the faulty links.